Full Charge Bookkeeper
Ohio Citizen Action (OCA) seeks a Full Charge Bookkeeper to work within the organization’s internal Finance Department.
Ohio Citizen Action (OCA) is the premier grassroots mobilizing and organizing team in the Midwest. OCA organizes and mobilizes people to advocate for public interests. In person, by phone, and online, we engage people in actions that protect public health, improve environmental quality, and benefit consumers.
Reporting directly to and working with the Finance Officer/Controller to oversee the organization’s financial data and ensure compliance with relevant laws and GAAP standards. Maintains an accurate bookkeeping of cash receipts, accounts payable, payroll, and daily financial entries and reconciliations. Performs daily accounting tasks such as monthly financial reporting, record payments and adjustments, and communication with vendors.
Salary: $38,000 - $41,000 depending upon experience
- Responsible for full cycle accounting duties.
- Ensure accuracy in general ledger.
- Maintains subsidiary accounts by verifying, allocating, and posting transactions.
- Balances subsidiary accounts by reconciling entries.
- Creates journal entries for all accounts, including fixed assets.
- Maintains records of financial transaction by establishing accounts; posting transactions; ensure compliance with legal requirements.
- Responsible for accurate expense and departmental coding per accounting policies and procedure.
- Calculating, posting business transactions, invoice processing, verifying financial data for use in maintaining records.
- Prepares financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends.
- Clarifying questionable invoice items or prices.
- Obtaining proper information and data regarding invoice payments.
- Verifying and calculating all extensions and totals on invoices.
- Maintenance of up-to-date vendor files by maintaining copies of invoices, necessary correspondence, and contact information.
- Maintenance of up-to-date accounts receivable files including grants and contract services, and necessary correspondence.
- Maintains historical records by filing documents.
- Processes employee timesheets and manages payroll.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by researching requirements and filing reports.
- Assists Financial Controller in collecting information for audit purposes.
- Uses financial software to stay organized.
- Regularly contributes to overall team effort.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 3+ years of experience in a bookkeeping role.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and related software, specifically Excel and other applications.
- Familiarity with accounting software or computerized bookkeeping.
- Working knowledge of basic accounting practices.
- Fast and accurate data entry skills.
- Ability to maintain good vendor relationships.
- Strong ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Experience with financial statements.
- Strong ability to manage complexity and multiple projects.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Conduct work in a manner that consistently aligns with OCA’s core values.
- Commitment to Ohio Citizen Action’s mission and goals.
- Ability to work independently but with a collaborative approach.
Additional Preferred Skills and Knowledge
- Certified bookkeeper designation preferred.
- Associates degree in accounting or business or equivalent work experience.
- Experience with Sage 100 preferred.
- Nonprofit experience a plus.
The Full Charge Bookkeeper should share our strong commitment to integrating racial equity and social justice into all levels of our work, increasing and nurturing all forms of diversity in our movement, and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
The Full Charge Bookkeeper position is a full-time, salaried position with benefits including vacation, paid sick days, healthcare, dental and vision. Salary range is $38,000 - $41,000, depending upon experience.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and at least three references to Jessica Smith-Szabo at [email protected]org.